Postcards from Sicily by Nancy Barone
Postcards
from Sicily
By Nancy
Barone
SUMMARY:
A heartwarming story about mother-daughter relationships and starting
over in life, set in a luxurious Italian spa resort
Olivia swore she would never grow up to be like her mother,
who fled to Sicily to be with her lover when Olivia was a teenager. But now, in
her thirties, the spark in Olivia's marriage has been extinguished for years;
she's hopelessly pining over her attractive business partner, Markus, and her
own teenage daughter barely speaks to her.
So when her estranged mother offers to pay for an eight-week trip to a
luxurious wellness centre in Italy, Olivia reluctantly accepts. A break will be
good for her. For everyone. There's just one catch... Susan is staying in the
adjoining room.
Fuelled by gorgeous weather, good food and even better wine, can the two women
overcome their history and form the mother-daughter bond that Olivia always
dreamed of? Or is it too late for second chances?
MY REVIEW:
This is a book packed with themes
that we can all relate to. Second chances. Atonement. Making peace with the
past and relationships. I know I can relate to these! Family relationships
affect how we think, feel, and connect. They improve our mental health, lower
our stress, and help us live longer. We are, after all, social creatures who
need connection to feel safe, happy, and supported through life's challenges.
The opening action hook is attention-grabbing.
Olivia, a thirty-something stuck in a loveless marriage, has been invited by
her estranged mother, Susan, to stay at a wellness clinic in northern Italy.
‘You think I’m going to accept
charity from the woman who abandoned us and check myself into an expensive spa
that she’s paying for? I haven’t spoken to her for almost twenty-two years.
Can’t you see, Dad, how awkward that would be?’
There is conflict and estrangement.
This story is going to be an exploration of the mother-daughter relationship. Naturally,
the reader wants answers, and I think each chapter provides some while raising
more questions. Olivia is unfulfilled in other areas of her life. Her marriage
to Simon is dying, and she is also dealing with a difficult teenage,
self-absorbed daughter, Cassie. The only
element of her life that seems to work is a soft furnishing business called Timber
and Thimble, which she runs with the tall and broad-shouldered Viking
lookalike, Markus. She has the perfect relationship with him, except that we
know that Olivia would like the relationship to be more than platonic.
This book skilfully explores
serious topics, yet it does so with a gentle and compassionate touch, making it
both engaging and approachable. This story could be a heavy narrative, but the
tone is balanced with a sprinkle of humour, light-hearted moments and the
author allows her characters to use dark, self-ironic, or sarcastic jokes as a
realistic coping mechanism for stress and trauma.
‘Perhaps I do have the slightest
bit of road rage, but despite what my father and Markus says, I can keep my
cool. I don’t have any suppressed anger or whatever it is they think I have. I
simply have a low tolerance for idiots while I’m trying to run around and get
things done.’
The reader is witnessing the
unravelling of Olivia. She feels like she is falling apart. After an aggressive
confrontation with a driver who calls her a ‘crazy bitch’ she tearfully catches
sight of her ragged reflection in the mirror, her eyes wild with stress and not
even being able to recognise herself. And then she falls on the floor at McDonald's
and yells at a lady who tries to help her. She is losing control, breaking down,
and changing character. This is the defining moment when she realises she needs
to take some time out.
The pace changes from a frenetic,
highly charged atmosphere, and the location changes as we head to Italy, but
during the flight, Olivia reflects with flashbacks to the day her mother abandoned
her, and it is a very sad story. A school
concert where Olivia would ironically sing and play with her mother, ‘all by myself’.
The author compellingly conveys the pain, anger, and confusion, eliciting a
deep sense of sympathy in the reader.
‘And then I saw it: the empty seat
and my father’s drawn face squinting up at me in a mixture of pride and utter
misery. The song seemed to last forever, and every new verse or chorus became
harder and harder to perform as I was now almost completely engulfed in panic and
confusion.’
I think this establishes a
connection for the reader with Olivia and explains the deep emotional pain she
suffered, and it creates a sense of shared experience.
There are some wonderfully
descriptive passages about Villa Dei Respiri Spa Villa of Breaths) a nineteenth-century
Art Nouveau villa with peach coloured rendering nestled on the shores of Lake
Maggiore. Where can I book, please?
‘A handsome man, around thirty-ish,
comes to greet my taxi and shows me into the massive, elegant lobby, and I know
that the Villa Dei Respiri is going to be amazing. Through a wide doorway, I
can already see lake views with open terraces and white linen curtains
billowing in pine-scented breeze and fancy drinks and foods, ladies dripping
with jewels and gallant men vying to attend to their every need. More Gatsby
anyone?’
The spa offers everything for discerning
high-income individuals, wellness seekers, and busy professionals. From luxury massage
to beauty treatments, wellness, fitness, arts and crafts, cooking classes, and,
ironically, every therapy to alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression, and
mental fatigue. However, to Olivia’s horror and surprise, her estranged mother
is in the adjoining room next door. This is where the healing process begins. Olivia
must turn toward her difficult feelings instead of hiding from them. The writing
is incredibly poignant, and I think the message is clear to the reader. Holding
onto anger hurts you more than anyone else.
‘Now that I’m here, face to
face with my mother, I’ve had to deal with the fact that she’s been gone all
these years, but that she’s been extremely happy with her new life and never
looked back. I’ve tried patience, indifference, and resentment, but none of them
can fill the void inside me. I need to jump over the chasm in the middle of my
life that has stopped me from moving on. I know that.’
The summer unfolds as a time for
deep connection and personal growth, filled with moments of Olivia and her
mother getting to know each other better while also navigating the journey of
therapy.
I don’t believe every story needs
a happy ending, just a resolution. Closure gives the reader a sense of
completion.
“‘Olivia, is there any way you
think that, as two grown women, we may reconnect once again? I have been so selfish.
I want to make amends for all the hurt I’ve caused you.” Without a word, she
spreads her arms and I fall into them and we both sob inconsolably.’
Susan has her own reasons for the reconciliation.
Towards the end of the book, we move to Sicily – ‘a glorified chaos of the
senses’ where they are joined by other members of the family. More beautiful
descriptions of an antique villa facing the Mediterranean Sea.
Why I recommend this book:
It delves into important issues. It makes you reflect on your own relationships,
so it's easy to connect with. Takeaways
include ‘letting go of the past before you can move forward.’ Empathy,
acceptance and forgiveness are steps to take to release the weight of hurt.
The theme of mothers and daughters is trending by Rachal Aviv in her book ‘You
Won’t Get Free of It: Stories of Mothers and Daughters so it is worthy of more
investigation since mothers and daughters are emotionally wired to feel
connected to each other.
The story is written in the first
person to create deep emotional connection and intense immediacy, and I think rather
a rather unique character in Olivia.
Great book – I really enjoyed this
“A person is, among all else, a
material thing, easily torn and not easily mended.”
― Ian McEwan, Atonement
AUTHOR BIO:
Nancy Barone grew up in Canada, but at the age of 12 her family
moved to Italy. Catapulted into a world where her only contact with the English
language was her old Judy Blume books, Nancy became an avid reader and a
die-hard romantic. Nancy stayed in Italy and, despite being surrounded by
handsome Italian men, she married an even more handsome Brit. They now live in
Sicily, where she teaches English.
Nancy is a member of the RWA and a keen supporter of the Women's Fiction
Festival at Matera where she meets up once a year with writing friends from all
over the globe.
BOOK BLURB:
Published by Aria (July 2026)
OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR:
One Summer in Sicily (June 2023)
The Little Cottage by the Cornish Sea (July 2025)
Dreams of a Little Cornish Cottage (July 2021)
Starting over at the Little Cornish Beach House
(May 2022)
Storm in a D Cup (January 2023)
The Husband Diet (June 2022)
No Room at the Little Cornish Inn (November 2020)
My Big Fat Italian Breakup (July 2022)
New Hope for the Little Cornish Farmhouse (July
2020)
Snow Falls over Starry Cove (September 2022)
Deserted in Sicily (July 2016)


Comments
Post a Comment